Saturday, September 13, 2008

Travels, catching up and reminising!

Hi All,
I have not fallen off the face of the earth but I have been busy and away from the computer so I have not been able to fill you in on the latest happenings in our little world.

This is where my family gets complicated. We were once the traditional family unit but we are now made of much more than that. Since mum and dad split up they have both found happiness elsewhere and with that comes more brothers sisters. So we what once started out as 3 (Me, Dan and Josh), became 8. Deans 3 kids (Tara, Kim and Jock), and Ange's 2 (Ryan and Olivia). I am happy to report that I am still the oldest. This also means more grandparents, more uncles and aunties and of course more cousins. Anyway there is a point to telling you all this, My step dads, step dad passed away on the 1st of Sept. "Pom" (that was his well known nickname) was with Deans mum for 28 years and they were planning to get married later this year. We all knew Pom before mum and Dean got together as he was a local Owner/driver in Bordertown and with Dad being in the tyre industry we got to know a lot of the drivers. As it turned out mum and Dean had other prior commitments and couldn't attend, so I travelled 600k with the girls to attend the funeral, not only for myself but also on their behalf. The service was held on Thursday Sept 11Th 08' and was very lovely. It also meant that I got a chance to meet people in Deans family I had not met yet, As we all came from Bordertown I knew of Deans brothers, but I had not officially met them. I was also saddened by the fact that you only catch up with long lost relatives and friends at the loss of another, but it was nice to see them even under bad circumstances.

I stayed with my Auntie Suzie and her kids in Bordertown for the time I was visiting and it was great to catch up with everyone. All the kids enjoyed playing together and it was great for my girls to get to know their second cousins. After returning from Naracoorte we went out for dinner with everyone for my birthday. We all had a good time and all the kids behaved perfectly. Auntie Suzie and her family live in the same house that I grew up in as a kid and it was a little weird being there with my kids. I also couldn't get over the fact that a room that seemed so big when I was a kids was really only tiny. Also the fence at my other Aunts place that took up ages to climb over was only up to my knee. I have not been back to Bordertown in 6 years and it is amazing how much changes in that time.

While we in Naracoorte for the funeral I called around to visit my God mother who I have not seen since my 18Th birthday and she looked after the girls so we did not have to take them to the service. She spoilt them rotten, like she used to do with us when we were kids and they had a great time visiting with her. Mickalee didn't want to get in the car when it came time to leave, she was happy to stay. I said to my god mother "If that doesn't prove she had a good time I don't know what does." This trip was unfortunately very rushed but I plan to do it again with Tony as he has not been there yet. I also have family members he is yet to meet. I am sure it would be nice for him to finally put faces to names.

Bye for now and happy blogging.
Bec



Farewell POM. You will be dearly missed!! I hope there is beer in heaven!!

No comments: